70th ANNIVERSARY OF OUR PRESENT CHURCH IN ABBEY ROAD
The year marked the 70th anniversary of the foundation of a community of Christians on this site. There has been a St Hilda’s Church serving Warley Woods since 1907. The first church building was in Rathbone Road. Then, after many years of planning, in June 1940, the then congregation picked up their chairs and walked the half mile or so to their new home. This is the founding story of our church: that we moved home to be closer to the people of Warley as the population grew during the inter-war years.
During the year, several of our former Clergy and Readers were invited back to preach.
The programme of events which took place during the year, looked back at our history but also looked forward to our future together as St Hilda’s Church seeks to walk closer with God and be closer to the people. There were seven key points of celebration planned between June and November. Some celebrate our roots and others reach out to the community we are called to serve. All were marked by a sense of joy and thanksgiving. We were especially grateful that Bishop Tom Butler, the retired Bishop of Southwark, and Bishop David Urquhart, the Bishop of Birmingham, began and ended our celebrations.
June 27th 70th Anniversary Open Air Eucharist We welcomed back a former member of St. Hilda’s, Rt Revd Tom Butler, recently retired Bishop of Southwark, who preached and presided at the Eucharist. This was followed by a family picnic in the church grounds.